An overnight program for families with young children to share a
controlled camping environment and activity-rich outdoor experience.
WHEN: 2:00 p.m., Sat. Sept. 19 to 12:00 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 20
Rain Date: Saturday, Sept. 26 to Sunday, Sept. 27
WHERE: Summit Field, South Mountain Reservation, Essex County, NJ
Who should attend?
This event is tailored to families with young children, up to 12 years of age. A family is defined as one or two adults (21 yrs. or older) with a maximum of four children. An adult must remain with his/her children for the duration of the event.
(Note: No dogs will be allowed.)
Immerse yourself in the simple beauty and majesty of our forest.
Experience the Reservation through the seasoned eyes of our nature experts.
Open your children’s minds to all the woods have to offer.
Activities likely to include:
- Guided nature hikes Saturday and Sunday
- Tours of the Wildflower and Forest Preserve
- Bike/scooter fun ride
- Evening program
- Campfire and storytelling
- Yoga session
- Scavenger hunt
- And more!
What you will need to bring:
- Tent with waterproof ground cloth
- Sleeping bags and pads
- Flashlights, bug spray
- Saturday dinner and snacks – (there are water fountains and a limited number of charcoal grills are available) (Note: Light Sunday breakfast is provided.)
- Bikes/scooters (optional)
The area will be monitored by the Essex County Sheriff’s Department throughout the day and night. All participants, children and adults, will be given wrist bands to identify themselves.
What is the cost?
SMC Members: $25 per family (joined since October 2014 for 2015)
Non-Members: $50 per family (initial $25 is membership.)
NOTE: To minimize administration and cancellations, there will be no refunds for accepted families.
Payment and Registration Directions:
1.) Click on Donate at www.somocon.org homepage, then click on Donate button.
2.) When submitting your PayPal payment, under Purpose indicate:
– If already a member (i.e., joined the SMC after September 2014 for 2015), write “Family Campout Fee for [FAMILY NAME], current SMC member ($25)”
– If not already member, write “2015 SMC membership and Campout Fee for [FAMILY NAME] ($50).
3.) After the transaction is complete, you will receive a PayPal Confirmation Number.
4.) Complete all required fields in the online form including PayPal confirmation at: http://goo.gl/forms/SOMl1S1NSO
5.) You will receive a confirmation from the SMC within 48 hours and detailed instructions one week before the program.
– Attendance for this event is limited to around 35 families. A family is defined as one or two adults, 21 yrs. or older, with a maximum of 4 children. We will close the registration when we reach our limit.
– We will create a short waiting list. If you are on the waiting list and are not accepted, your money will be refunded.
– Registration must be completed by Wednesday September 16th (unless the event if filled). THERE ARE NO REGISTRATIONS ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT.
– To minimize administration and cancellations, There will be no refunds for accepted families.
– No dogs will be allowed.
– The principal adult (first adult listed), or the optional secondary adult must remain with his/her children for the duration of the event.
Contact Lori LaBorde, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com,, or leave a message at 844-SOM-OCON, ext. 7.
Note: For some unknown reason, Summit Field is not showing up on Google Maps, and instead is named Slayton Field. To see the access point near the Dog Park, put 10 Bear Lane, South Orange, into your GPS (although the actual address is in Maplewood!).